Sunday, March 15, 2009

FIRST WEEK OF CD

Finally, the day I have been anticipating arrived. Time really has a way of taking away everything from you. It passes by really quick when you're anticipating something you absolutely dread. NS. That two lettered word every guy just hates to hear. I know it is a process in which many have gone through and survived, yet for some reason I guess it all had to do with the negative perception I already had about NS which I simply refused to change. Too many horror stories I heard, well not literally, but in the sense of unmerciful instructors and uncooperative bunkmates. In fact that was my number one fear, unmerciful instructors who would not hesitate to push us all beyond our limit and punish us for every single thing possible.

I still remember trying to psycho my thinking at the final few moments before my enlistment. I tried telling myself life would not be as bad as I predicted it to be. Things would go fine if I just minded my own business and not get into the bad books of others. As my parents accompanied me to camp for the very first day, my mind was filled with emotions ranging from the mounting anxiety of what to expect there as well as sadness from having to leave my friends and family and not see them for over a week. The walked me all the way to the enlistment area, and there we separated. That was the last time I saw them.

I was alone in the enlistment room. I scanned my surroundings to observe the other recruits enlisting together with me. Some of them were exactly like me, alone with emotions of fear written all over their faces. Others just could not care less that they would be enlisting, They had friends and were busy chatting and anticipating what was next for them.

After enlistment we were brought into a multi purpose hall for our oath taking. The usuals for a uniformed organization, taking an oath makes it an obligation for those enlisting to abide by the rules and promise to protect their country. I got a first look at my instructors then. All so young, buffed and looking ready to whip us all into shape. I swear, one look at these instructors and I had this very uneasy feeling that I would actually manage to pass my IPPT under them.

Well, good or bad, I'll leave that for you to decide.

As for the details of what goes on in camp, I don't think I'm actually allowed to elaborate so I'll just summarize and say that its a very regimental life I am living. A life which requires lots of patience, discipline and tolerance for without them, emotions could run really high.

I must say though, that I actually like the instructors allocated to our company, well most of them at least. They do scold and punish us for our mistakes. They possess authority, yet they know how to use it well and not flaunt it just cause they know that can do so. Indeed, professional Grade A instructors.

Personally for me, I am coping fine although it is inevitable that the feeling of homesickness still lingers within me at times. I'm a rather reserved person, and I have made it a point to keep a low profile, so I hope that I'll be able to interact with my bunkmates better these coming few weeks.

The first week was a roller coaster ride for me. Coming from someone with absolutely no military background, everything that could possibly go wrong, went wrong and I found myself getting scolded quite alot.. There are times I feel its not my fault, but fine we all have to learn to to take criticism with a pinch of salt.

Its alright, I'll bounce back and hopefully perform better for my next week in camp. Wish me luck guys :)

No comments: