Sunday, April 12, 2009

Since when has life been a bed of roses? It has never ceased to be thorny to me at least and sometimes I feel life can be rather unfair on us.

Just a month ago, I had to deal with separation, which to most of us is never an easy thing. NS was calling me, and I had no choice but to leave my students and teaching colleagues to settle for life in Civil Defence for 2 years. 2 solid months teaching these young individuals waiting to blossom into useful people of society, and I already developed a strong relationship with these bright kids. What not, I was known as a teacher by name, but here the fact was that I was just a mere few years older than them. I was more of an older brother to them all, and I could relate to them, their needs and their wants as I was of a similar age group. Just as this relationship started to strengthen, it had to be taken away from me due to my NS commitments. It was really hard on me, but finally I learnt to let go.

NS was tough as well, not so much physically, but more of the mental aspect. Everything I once had was taken away from me, and every single book in was dreadful for me. I thought I never would make friends and I'd be alone, but these five weeks proved me wrong as I made some really awesome friends who stuck by me through thick and thin. They took care of me when I was sick, made sure I was able to sleep through the night soundly, stood up for me when others tried to tease or take advantage of my weaknesses and many others. They made me feel like life in NS was worth it.

Now comes the hard part, as these people were selected for the firefighter course. I had the opportunity, but due to personal reasons I had to reject this offer. Now, as I book in, I'm all alone without these familiar faces I once knew. All I'm left with are the rest of the platoon with characters that can be rather undesirable and not really that I am comfortable with.

Just as I was about to love my NS life, this has to happen. I can jolly well break down and sulk, but I firmly believe there has to be an explanation for everything that happens in life. I am going to stay strong, and I hope to be able to adapt to this new life I'm going to experience starting tonight. Wish me luck.

Whatever that doesn't kill you makes you stronger

No comments: