Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Backdated Teaching Entry



Alright this post has been backdated for a VERY long time now, and now that the emotions come running back to me, its about time I finish up this post and post it for everybody to read, finally...

Its been close to two months now, two months since I left Teck Whye Secondary school. Two months might seem a long time, but trust me, when you leave something you love doing alot, it really seems only like yesterday that you stopped.

Every time I feel overwhelming emotions overcoming me in camp, be it sad, annoying or any other feeling, I can't help but view photos of my acquaintances and teaching days so as to keep me calm and settled..

It might seem funny, but the image and personality of the teacher in me has never really left me since I stopped. In school, I used to have this professional teacher image whose students addressed him as Mr Zul or Sir. I thought all these qualities of a teacher in me would leave the moment I stopped teaching but well my friends, I actually brought them into camp.

Just for your information, in camp I am quite a well known guy. LOL! Seriously, not notoriously thank god. I never actually did anything to make myself stand out, but somehow my platoon mates and instructors found out about my background as a teacher and they never fail to be interested in my teaching adventures and they'll always make me tell them about my job as a teacher. Hence this story spread round and the ENTIRE company of 160 people or so now knows, even the people I don't know. Having people you don't know approaching you for your experiences is quite an honour, and I found this a really good opportunity to open up and start making new friends.

Its really weird, yet after almost five weeks I have finally come to accept the fact that the guy in camp goes by the persona of the Cikgu and not this boy called Zulhafiz. Trust me, there are some who don't even know my name thanks to this prevailing nickname... haha!

Well I'll elaborate this more in my future posts... Okay back to my teaching experiences, I must say that I really am beginning to miss my teaching days.

Dina's entry on her last day made me reflect and reminisce upon the good old days I had with my students.

I remember the very last day I had with my students was a really bitter sweet experience. On one hand I really felt so very satisfied and proud of my students cause my very last day was what made me realize the impact I had on them. Eight weeks worth of teaching, I saw all the reaps of success on that very day, and seeing how much my students have grown since the very first day I took them for lessons, it just made me all the more happier for these students who have pride and passion for all that they do.

I remember my very last lesson with Class 3J, the video I showed the class and the cards I gave them which made them tear. I admit, seeing the tears come out from the girls and even the guys touched me up to the point I could not talk, cause I swear, if I were to say something, I would end up with tears welling up in my very own eyes. It was that emotional.

I also remember the many pictures I took with my students to prepare me for my last day as well as for my NS days.. Yes, those were the days.

Words cannot express how much I miss these little students of mine, those who made me mad yet apologetic with their innocent "I wont do it again" faces, those who made me smile, those who teased me with my height and age, those who were really close to me, I really want to relive those days.

I guess I'll let the pictures do the talking! :)









All these were taken on my last day, with many many more in facebook so you can go see if you want to. And this sums up my last day of teaching entry, the entry I never got to complete due to NS nervousness issues at one point in time...

The memories may have been long present
But not even time can take them away from me

No comments: