Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MY JOURNEY SO FAR

I am beginning to love my relief teaching sting. I guess when you get fonder of your surroundings, your colleagues and the students there, you just have this sense of belonging and lovingness towards them that you feel so bonded with them.

Dang, this is goinna be hard on me when I finally have to leave Teck Whye Sec.

I know I started off on a pessimistic note, but somehow it has drawn to me that the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow can only be reached once you make the effort to walk across the perimeters of the rainbow to attain the gold. Okay rubbish, you cannot walk across a rainbow, but I think you got my figure of speech. Starting off on a bad note doesnt mean anything, for as you start your journey there are bound to be obstacles along the way. Once you get past them, you'll begin to realize that you're a stronger person who knows better when it comes to dealing with hardship and obstacles.

I've passed through mine. I know how to handle the students, and I have learnt to understand them and their wants better inside out. I mean, I aint that much older than them anyway, so understanding them was easy.

Even when I had to scold my classes, I do not do so compulsively and unnecessarily. I scold them when the time calls for it, yet I never lose my cool completely. I maintain a clear mind, and once I'm done with my scolding or lecturing, I'll explain to them their mistakes and what they have done wrong. I don't believe in publically humiliating my students for that will only make them hate me more, so when I need to pinpoint them, I'll do so discreetly.

One thing I learnt from my term as a teacher, if you want your kids to respect you, you've gotta first respect them as adults and treat them as one. The way you treat them in class says it all, and I guess thats what makes my students respect me and never doubt my authority as a teacher up till now although I just barely knew them, and I am thankful that they are such lovely people to teach.

So far things have been on the rather bright side for me. Hopefully as the weeks passes, I hope it would all only get better and better. I'm pretty confident it will.

I used to dread the idea of teaching a secondary school, but now I feel I'm a more matured person and its all turned out to be a blessing in disguise

No comments: