Friday, January 23, 2009

BITTER SWEET

School just ended, and there's a four day break in between before I go for my next class.. Was called down to school today to do relief teaching for 2 classes and they were pretty well behaved.

I especially enjoyed my stay in 5B as the students there were nice, receptive and friendly. Although they had to do this composition and I am pretty sure they were dreading it since they were supposed to be in a festive mood, they were very cooperative and actually passed it up to me without much complaints (: The class even told me to write some well wishes down for them on the class notice board although this is only the second time I'm seeing them.

Chinese New Year celebrations was next. The concert was not bad, and I enjoyed myself with the relief teachers as we just celebrated the atmosphere in each others presence. Life's good when you have such lovely pals to go through all these hardship with you.

Speaking of which, yesterday's happening still has not been dispersed totally from my mind and I'm rather bothered by it. So far I've been doing fine with all the other classes, and even though for some of them its their first time seeing me, we usually settle down and get to know each other fast enough up to the point the students can joke around with me or listen to me as I go on and on with what I have to present. However for this one particular class I had problems.

My first encounter with them was last week and even so we already started off on a bad note. The kids didnt wanna listen and as I took that class for relief I had to be very stern and strict with them to keep them contained, and I don't think they liked me for that. First impression, bad.

Then yesterday I had to meet them again, this time to teach, and just as I guessed, they didnt wanna listen and some kids at the back were throwing papers and all when they were supposed to read. Tried using the slow talk method, but later they were at it again, so this time I was very strict. I gave them a stare and asked them if they were willing to learn. They quietened down, but once again as I tried to teach they made so much noise I just decided to end the lesson and walk off. Before I did I told them that I dont get angry for nothing and I explained to them their behaviour and how it was unacceptable for them to behave this way.

I thought at least by doing that they would understand and appreciate it that I am trying to talk things out with them, but sadly, no. The kids threw me glum and unhappy faces, and some unhappy kids claimed I was only biased against their class. I was patient and calm as I walked out of that class but dang, that comment, it was like a sphere right through me. That incident just ruined the entire day of fun I had, and even up till today I am wondering if I could have handled the situation any better.

Ohh well, I hope the next time I enter there I wouldnt have to do this ever again. I hate scolding people, although I will when I really have to.

Okay, on the bright side, for this week I really met some lovely classes. I miss teaching 2A, whose chirpiness and friendliness greeted me when I had to relief their class twice. I miss teaching 2B, who was pretty much one of the very first few classes I took for relief. I miss 2I, whose kids can be super hyper, yet at least they do their work and listen to you. And I miss 4B, with the kids so well behaved and interactive and intellectual. Ms Sng is back to teach them. I'm happy she's back, but I'm sad that I won't get an opportunity to teach them anymore.. Ohh welll... That's life for you.

Okay now though CNY is round the corner, the workload is just piling up! GOSH! But hey zul, don't compain. Remember, teaching beats NS, ANYTIME!

Yes, complain I won't

No comments: