Thursday, July 2, 2009

DRAG ME TO HELL



I have long been waiting for a movie to freak me out beyond wit's end. The last movie to do that to me was, well, exorcist, and the rest of the movies that came after were just prain lame. Today's mindset of a horror movie is simply ghosts, pontianaks, skulls that go around chasing after people and we have seen way too many of such scenes to actually be scared, hence contributing to the failure of horror movies nowadays. Come on directors, wake up your ideas.

That was before Sam Raimi entered the scenes with Drag Me To Hell. Personally when I first heard this title, I was convinced it was another failure attempt at a horror flick, but after seeing how reviews gave it so much credit, I was determined to give it a watch myself.

The experience, my friends, was simply one of a kind.

The director definitely knows how to make good use of his genres to come up with an amazingly unforgettable movie. For starters, the ghosts inside this movies arent actually your normal floating females and skulls, but rather, an old woman.

Yes you heard me, an old woman whose back for vengeance biting people with her false teeth. As ridiculous as this may seem, it was true. I don't know why, but I personally get more fear and excitement watching horror flicks with old women and witches being the ones scaring people. They do a way better job than anyone else, probably because of the chilling aura surrounding them as a result of us hearing freaky stories about witches and all back during our young days. They are more despicable, they kill.

Another thing which amazed me was the fact that this movie was not all about horror. Can you imagine yourself both laughing and screaming during a horror flick? Well I thought this was impossible too, until I watched this movie. It's a dash of comedy while the rest are specially reserved for the horror scenes. You'll never know what to expect. One moment you could be laughing out loud due to the hilarious scenes and the next second you'll choke as your laughter turns into screams of fear due to the sudden appearance of a horror scene.

Finally, it actually gives you a test of your morals. The director made the movie in such a way that the victim was faced with many morally challenging questions that would be bound to make you think and reflect upon what you would do if you were given the same position.

For example, if you were given a cursed object and told that you would be haunted all your life unless you have it away as a present to someone else who would suffer for you, would you then do it to save your life? Are you willing to let someone else suffer and die in exchange for your own life?

Don't ask me, I wouldn't know what to do either.

Watch it guys, it's definitely worth your money for all the goosebumps and exciting opinions you're going to have by the time you step out of the movie theatre. Beware, this movie is going to drag you out of your seat :)

No comments: